The Holman Household

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Wednesday Randoms: Late Night Sewing

Last night, my neighbor and I got together for a little girl's time. If you read my post yesterday you know I was having a rough day and potty training was really frustrating me. Well, she did absolutely perfect for Brendan. No accidents AT ALL. She even told him she needed to go a couple of times! So of course he doesn't understand why my patience is run so thin by the end of the day! Maybe she will be good for me today. When I got home, Lilly insisted she was going to sleep in the "big girl bed" It's really just the bed in the guest bedroom. So I read her books to her in there and when she fell asleep I transfered her to her crib. She woke up about 3am and when I got to her she was saying "big girl bed" over and over. So I took her in there. She immediately settled down so I put pillows on one side of her and I slept on the other. Maybe she is ready for a big girl bed??? If it would help her sleep better I would be all for it!

After I got her to bed (the first time), I couldn't sleep. So, I decided to go through my sewing/craft cabinet because my neighbor and I got to talking about the endless possiblities things we can make. I found a pattern that I have never even used for a smocked bonnet. I had some material that I have been wanting to use so I decided to give it a try. The bonnet was simple enough. I have never smocked before so the smocking isn't perfect, but by the last 2 rows I was getting the hang of it. After I made the bonnet, I thought it needed something to go with it. So with the extra material and some tulle and ribbon, I made a skirt. I wanted to do an elastic waist band, but I was out of elastic so I just used a ribbon to make a drawstring waist. The tulle is gathered along the bottom. It is a little long on her, but she can really wear it for a long time since the waist in adjustable.

Here is my little Lilly modeling her new outfit:



By the way, this is my 100th post!

2 comments:

  1. That bonnet is adorable!! I'm going to try to learn how to sew. What kind of machine do you use??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I have a Janome that I use most of the time. I also have a Brother that sews and does simple embroidery designs. If your are looking to buy one I would definately recommed the drop-in bobbin. It is so much easier to load and see when it is running low. My Grandmother sews really well, but I haven't had time for her to show me. What little I know I taught myself to do. I'm sure you will be great at it!

    ReplyDelete