The Holman Household

Monday, June 13, 2011

Mommy Monday: Sleep

Lilly hads gotten used to falling asleep in our bed. It all started about 2 months ago when she was getting her molars in. She cried and cried when I tried to put her to bed, unless she was in bed with us. We read stories then she snuggles between us and after a little thrashing she falls sound asleep. I take her to her crib where she sleeps until about 3am. She wakes up crying and when you go in to check on her she starts saying "bed!". She says it and cries until we start heading to our room. I would just let her cry for a little while, but Brendan doesn't like to hear it and will go get her. Then she stars crying for Mama. "I want my Mama!" until she gets to me. I have told Brendan for a few weeks now that we just need to let her cry it out again, but he doesn't want to have to hear her cry so he suggested I do it last night since he had to fill in for a 3rd shift supervisor. So that's what I did.
We read her books in her room, then said her prayer and put her to bed. She started crying when she realized I was about to put her in the crib. It was the saddest face, but I knew I had to stay strong if I ever want to be able to put her to bed without us going to bed, too. It really wasn't that bad because she only cried 15 minutes and I could hear her playing with her My pal Violet almost the whole time. She did wake up once in the middle of the night but cried less than 5 minutes. I hope she will do just as well if not better tonight.

Yesterday, we went to our neighborhood pool with my sister and her husband. Lilly's friends were there, too. She really loves the pool now and doesn't even have to get used to it anymore. She has a ring that a neighbor got for her that she likes to wear and she will say "kick, kick" while she sort of kicks to swim around. She also has a float she can sit in that has a cover, but she now prefers the little ring. I think because that's what the older girls are using.

Back to the sleep topic...
Which bedtime prayer do other Mommy's use?

I grew up with:
Now I lay me down to sleep.
I pray the Lord my soul to keep.
If I die before I wake,
I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Amen.

I have heard this one more lately (I guess it is a little sweeter.)
No I lay me down to sleep.
I pray the Lord my soul to keep.
Angels watch me through the night,
and keep me in their precious sight.
Amen.

We have been doing both, because I am used to saying the first one out of habit, but I think I would rather start using the second more. I think I hear Lilly waking up.

No comments:

Post a Comment