The Holman Household

Friday, August 20, 2010

Crying it out?

Lilly's night time sleeping has gotten worse and worse... I am now getting up between 2 and about 4 times per night for about 30 min. each time. She nurses and won't let me put her down until she is good and asleep or she wakes up screaming. So I told Brendan that we have to do something different and we said that we would finally try to let her cry it out. We have attempted to try it before but it has only lasted about 5 minutes at the most. Tonight, I read her a story, but she still wasn't quite ready for bed so we played with her a little, I fed her, rocked her, the put her in her crib. We could hear her playing for a little while then eventually the crying started... So we waited 5 minutes and then I went in to check on her, but did not pick her up. Then 7 minutues... Then 10 minutes... She was still screaming so Brendan couldn't take it anymore so he is in there rocking her and she is still crying. She is a very stubborn little girl. I have a feeling I will be in there nursing her in a couple of minutes. I know she is tired, but she won't go to sleep on her own. Maybe anothern night.

1 comment:

  1. I think I posted about this sometime. At Winston's six month check up, I told the doctor I was still getting up numerous times a night and still nursing him twice. She said NO! No more feeding him at night, and let him cry. We could go check on him every 15-20 minutes to make sure he didn't have a dirty diaper. But no touching or talking. The first night was very rough. He was up from 10:30-11:30 crying, and then 2:30 to 4:30. The next night he cried for 6 minutes and then slept almost 10 hours straight (he goes to bed around 7 pm). After the first night, the most he ever cried at night was up to an hour, and after the first week it has never been more than 20 minutes. Now, if he happens to cry, it's never more than 5 minutes. I would definitely say give it a try and the sooner the better! Someone suggested to us to turn on the baby monitor and go sit on the front porch while he's crying. I always just tried to keep myself busy. Let me know if you want any more advice :) I hope you got some sleep last night!

    ReplyDelete