The Holman Household

Monday, June 25, 2012

BUGS!

Lilly has now reached the point where bugs are fun and interesting. She loves to go outside and look for bugs. She carries a little bucket and collects them. Her favorites are the roly pollies. I think all kids love them at one point. She has also become good at catching the spiddle bugs (sp) that are everywhere right now in the yard. She started wanting to catch ants wondering in the driveway, but we have finally gotten her to avoid all ants because you never know when she will pick up a fire ant. She likes to "feed" them dirt, because apparently that's what she thinks they eat. We also go walking to look for worms in the mornings. She knows we use them to fish on the lake so she is not scared of them at all. On another note... I have been trying to come up with the perfect gift to give Lilly when baby Evelyn is born. While reading one of the many craft blogs I like to browse for ideas, the girl mentioned a doll she made for her daughter when her baby sister was born. I thought that sounded like a great idea. So I did a little research and I love the waldorf dolls. They are handmade dolls stuffed with 100% wool for warmth. It is believed that these particular style dolls were first made in Germany around the 1920's and it is still practiced today. You can see many different variations of the dolls on Etsy. When I read they can be expensive to buy I had NO idea HOW expensive. You can expect to pay $100 to even $300! Since I don't like to buy something I can make for less I of course want to take on the challenge! Of course it would be more special to Lilly if I made it as well. They do not seem particularly difficult to make with all the great online tutorials, but very time consuming. Many of the supplies can only be found online and they are a little pricey, but I hope it will be worth it in the end. Here is a really cute one for sale on etsy: TheLittleJBird shop on Etsy has this doll listed and it is one of the lower priced ones. If you browse them you can see that every doll is unique and comes with a unique outfit. Has anyone else ever heard of these dolls? What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment