The Holman Household

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Potty Time!

First, I want to make it clear that I am NOT trying to potty train her now, but I saw on the show "The Doctors" that one Mom was putting her baby about Lilly's age on the potty when she knew she was about to go to the bathroom and she would go. I thought that may not be a bad idea because she would start learning and it would be less to clean up. So I tried it and she does pretty well. She seems to know what I mean when I tell her to "go potty". She has done it several times over the past few days. Sometimes she just tinkles, but that is good, too! After she goes she seems so proud of herself and I do praise her, but when she doesn't go on the potty it's not a big deal and she doesn't get scolded or anything. I do have to pay close attention to her to know when she is about to go, though. She is also walking EVERYWHERE now. She knows what no means, but usually continues with her whatever she is doing anyways. Most of the time now she will say "aah-aah" and shake her head no when she is doing something she knows she isn't supposed to do. The noise is because that is what my Mom and Grandmama told me and my sister instead of no-no. I guess I picked it up and use it most of the time myself.
She has been getting up at night some and waking up about 4:30am and won't go back to sleep until I put her in the bed with us and nurse her. Last night Brendan had to go into work to help out. So, when she woke up last night in the middle of the night I let her cry it out. It took her almost an hour, but then selpt until almost 7am! At least 10 hours! Hopefully she won't wake up for long tonight, if at all. Tonight, when I put her down she said nigh-nigh (night-night)and then started talking to herself (in her own made up language). She is constantly talking now, even though we can't understand most of what she says.
Some words she does know/say are:
cat
book
night night
mama
dada
ball
mine?
bye bye
uh-oh
puff (gerber puffs)

She also knows what the cow, cat, and sheep say when we ask her and knows where her nose is along with other people's and even the dogs' noses. I have tried to teach her ear, eye, and mouth, but she doesn't seem too interested in them yet. She tries to imitate things we do and say and expects us to imitate her back. I see what they mean when they say a baby is like a sponge. She picks up on so much more that I realized. I will add pictures once I upload them to the computer.

No comments:

Post a Comment